New Ecology, Inc. is seeking a versatile Staff Accountant to provide bookkeeping and general accounting support with a fundamental knowledge of financial software and experience with billing. This position will grow into becoming a main point of contact for project managers and clients for inquiries and support. This individual will also play a role in setting up new projects in the accounting and project management databases. We are looking to hire someone that can contribute to a growing team of professionals in an effort to build on past accomplishments and grow the department.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally‐recognized non‐profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost‐effectively improve the performance, health, and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community‐based assets such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are just seeking improved performance; see www.newecology.org for more details.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Staff Accountant supports the business lines by providing timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis with direct assistance to project teams for client billing and revenue generation. The Staff Accountant provides an initial level of compliance (checks and balances) oversight for project specific financial transactions. This role is responsible for the fee-for-service billing process, which includes verifying project costs, contract terms, and serving as the point person for project team management to ensure accurate and timely recording of all project revenue and costs. The Staff Accountant reports to the Comptroller.
Bookkeeping duties will include but are not limited to:
• Manage Accounts Payable and work with vendors to ensure timely payment, monitor staff expense reporting;
• Manage Accounts Receivable: posts customer payments by recording cash, checks, and credit card transactions;
• Maintaining electronic files and creating new ones as needed, for all contract agreements, correspondence, vendor bills, customer payments, etc.;
• Tracking transactions and receipts from all lines of company credit, entering employee expense reimbursement reports, etc.;
• Support Finance Team with month-end closing, credit card and bank statement reconciliations;
• Other duties as assigned.
Project Billing responsibilities will include:
• Managing the accounting and billing of specific projects: conduct (monthly) billing meetings with project managers, maintain job details in both the designated accounting software and our Mavenlink database;
• Contract management: work with project managers to properly setup and maintain projects in the accounting system, obtaining complete and thorough understanding of contractual terms associated with each job;
• Understand billing requirements in order to efficiently and effectively generate (monthly)
invoices and provide backup documentation to management and clients;
• Generate, customize, and distribute Cost Reports for management and client purposes on a regular basis;
• Review preliminary invoices for appropriate labor, expense charges, billing rates, fees maximums and makes appropriate changes and reclassifications;
• Drafts correspondence for standard past-due accounts and collections, identifies delinquent accounts by reviewing files, and contacts delinquent accountholders to request payment. Researches customer discrepancies and past-due amounts with the assistance of the Project Accountant and other staff.
• Prepares reporting of accounts receivable to provide to Senior Management and to Project Managers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in the field of business, preferably in accounting or finance, with a minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience. Willing to consider new graduates with internship experience;
• Demonstrated judgment and application of accounting standards in a fast paced and changing environment, with ownership of monthly financial deliverables;
• Demonstrated ability to manage to deadlines, especially month-end closing schedule;
• Demonstrated ability to accomplish objectives with minimal direction, exercising creativity, initiative and good business judgement;
• Professional, client service oriented, excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail;
• Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential;
• Applicant must be capable of working with personnel across four state branch offices in the collection of cost and revenue data and explanations that help expedite client billing and prompt problem resolution;
• Proficiency with Excel and Intuit products (QuickBooks Online is ideal)
Schedule: Full time, exempt, preferred. For the majority of the time the Staff Accountant will be sitting in an office with limited physical requirements. This may require individuals to bend, stretch, twist and reach. The position is not subject to occupational and safety risks.
Compensation: New Ecology offers competitive salaries with excellent benefits in a collaborative and supportive work environment. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (please put “Staff Accountant” in the subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.