New Ecology, Inc. is seeking candidates for the position of Energy Field Technician (“Tech”) in its Boston office. The Tech will be part of a dynamic team that is developing and installing low cost monitoring and optimization services, called ReMO, for multifamily and mid-to-small sized commercial buildings. This team uses the data collected to diagnose and solve problems with central building HVAC systems. This technology provides insight into systems operation, increases equipment life and tenant comfort, and reduces utility consumption and maintenance costs. We are seeking an experienced technician with a mix of skills and the interest and ability to learn more. The position reports to New Ecology’s Director of Product & Service Development.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized, non-profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing, (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based projects such as municipal, educational and arts buildings; see www.newecology.org. We offer competitive salaries with excellent benefits in a collaborative and supportive work environment. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
New Ecology typically seeks to hire multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek deeper and deeper understanding of how buildings operate. Bi-weekly participation in staff meetings in the Boston office, or via on-line service, is expected. Job training and mentorship will be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities:
ReMO system Build, Test and Install
- Build systems, using hand tools, based on information provided.
- Test system components as required; test each system prior to shipment or installation.
- Package system for transport or shipping.
- Travel to customer sites in the region, and sometimes outside the region.
- Install system and sensors, making wired connections and using a variety of tools.
- Verify system connectivity and data flow with office personnel prior to departing a site.
- Document progress in project software in near real-time.
Maintain all aspects of Inventory
- Use inventory software to track inventory quantities and locations on near real-time basis.
- Order materials, maintaining specified levels of supplies in workshop and in work van.
- Keep all materials, tools and supplies neatly organized in workshop and van.
- Assist with research, procurement and testing in support of product development.
- Implement energy saving measures at client sites as directed.
- Perform an assortment of site visits to troubleshoot and fix issues that arise
Maintain the Workshop and Van
- Keep workshop and van organized, clean and in presentable condition at all times.
- Maintain fluid levels, tire pressure and any non-service station work that needs to be done.
- Get van serviced as needed, regular oil changes, factory scheduled maintenance and repair of any damage that might have occurred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and follow verbal and written procedures.
- Demonstrated experience with hand tools and assembling components;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience with, or ability to learn, inventory and project management software.
- Demonstrated ability to be responsible for multiple projects and deliverables;
- A valid driver’s license and good driving record;
- Physical abilities to work in all areas of large buildings, including accessing basements and roofs, working outside and in boiler rooms, climbing stairs/ladders, and the ability to handle and carry equipment; and
The ideal candidate will also have:
- An Associate’s degree or better in a related field;
- Experience with heating systems;
- Extensive, practical, mechanical problem-solving skills.
Full time, exempt. Regular travel to job sites and meetings throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and periodic out of state travel is expected.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (please put “Energy Field Technician” in subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.