Location: Baltimore, MD • Units: 48 • Project Cost: $455,000 • Owner: Bellevieu-Manchester Limited Partneship • Contractor: Elysian Energy • Construction Cost: $455,000
Bellevieu-Manchester Apartments was built in 1906, was last renovated in 1995 and has 48 affordable apartments for seniors. Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development selected New Ecology to provide auditing and project management for the Customer Investment Fund—MF Housing Energy Efficiency Retrofit pilot.
- For several years the property pursued renovation funding programs without success. The CIF pilot provided the technical assistance and project management necessary to replace the boilers, chiller, cooling tower, roof and lights. The scope also included window repair and replacement that met local historic requirements.
- New Ecology used an eQuest energy model to evaluate energy conservation measures (ECMs) and worked with the property owner and residents to identify issues and develop a group of ECMs. The renovation replaced MEP systems that had reached the end of their useful life.
- New Ecology set up an Energy Star Portfolio Manager account the property owner to track utility use. The CIF pilot program requires owners to track utility use for two years after the energy and water upgrades are complete.
- 15% Electricity (chiller, lights, hydronic circulators, refrigerators, roof insulation)
- 22% Natural Gas (boilers, air sealing, windows, roof insulation)
- 5% Water (toilets, aerators)