New Ecology, Inc. seeks candidates for the position of Manager of Energy Rating and Field Inspection Services. This position will lead a team that delivers construction inspections, site verifications, energy modeling and other technical services in order to deliver HERS, LEED and Passive House ratings. The position will be based in Boston, report to the Vice President, and will support projects in several states.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized, non-profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing, (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based projects such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are just seeking improved performance; see www.newecology.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Manager will supervise all of New Ecology’s ratings work, including a growing team of raters, and will also do field work for complex projects. Specific tasks include:
- Playing a central coordinating role in NEI’s work with clients to develop, test and certify high performance buildings;
- Developing protocols and standard operating procedures to facilitate a growing list of complex projects;
- Working closely with the NEI project management team to determine project needs and staffing requirements;
- Managing the scheduling of NEI’s rater work;
- Ensuring that program requirements are met;
- Managing the training and professional development of rating staff;
- Preparing Ekotrope, WUFI passive or related energy models for multifamily buildings;
- Conducting inspections of job sites for compliance with HERS and other rating systems;
- Providing formal and informal trainings of sub/contractors to help them achieve certifications and construct better buildings, including addressing building science issues, energy certification programs, ENERGY STAR checklists, etc.;
- Performing field tests at rough and final construction for program compliance;
- Writing site visit reports with information regarding construction/performance compliance issues.
- Maintaining all files for program certification for review by a third party.
- Maintaining relationship and communication with New Ecology’s Provider organization.
New Ecology seeks to hire multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek deeper and deeper understanding of how buildings operate, how finances and regulations affect buildings and residents, and how this understanding can be used to improve buildings.
- Demonstrated capability to supervise a growing team;
- Experience developing protocols and standard operating procedures;
- Experience coordinating project work with in-house teams;
- Valid HERS certification through an accredited Provider;
- Certification as a LEED Green Rater, NGBS Green Verifier, and/or PHIUS+ Verifier and/or Rater;
- At least five years of experience conducting HERS ratings;
- Strong communication skills, including experience writing reports for clients;
- Proficiency with Ekotrope and/or RemRate modeling software;
- Ability to: 1) inspect all aspects of buildings, including: accessing basements, attics, and roofs; 2) climb stairs/ladders; and 3) handle and carry equipment up to 40 lbs.;
- Knowledge of utility rebate programs;
- Availability for periodic travel to out of town locations, and
- A valid driver’s license.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- BPI Building Analyst / BPI Multifamily Building Analyst;
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM);
- Experience conducting energy audits and diagnosing building enclosure or HVAC equipment issues;
- Experience with WUFI Passive modeling software.
Schedule: Full time, exempt, preferred. Regular travel to job sites and meetings, primarily in Massachusetts and less frequently throughout the Mid-Atlantic is expected.
Compensation: Competitive pay and generous benefits package. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (please put “Manager of Energy Rating and Field Inspection Services” in subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.