New Ecology, Inc. seeks candidates for the position of HERS Rater/Energy Auditor. This position is part of an organization-wide technical services team with expertise in HERS and other rating systems, energy auditing, construction inspections, site verifications, and energy modeling. The HERS Rater/Energy Auditor will work from either New Ecology’s Baltimore or Wilmington office and will primarily serve projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, but will also work on other projects in the Northeast.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The HERS Rater/Energy Auditor will provide technical support to NEI project teams and directly to clients. Specific tasks related to HERS or other rating systems include:
- Preparing REM-rate or related energy models for multifamily buildings:
- Working with clients to develop energy-efficient buildings;
- Conducting inspections of job sites for compliance with HERS and other rating systems;
- Providing formal and informal trainings of sub/contractors to help them achieve certifications and construct better buildings, including addressing building science issues, energy certification programs, ENERGY STAR checklists, etc.:
- Performing field tests at rough and final construction for program compliance:
- Maintaining all files for program certification or review by a third party.
Duties related to energy auditing may include evaluating the energy performance of buildings and recommending improvements to HVAC systems, building envelop and management practices to reduce energy and water consumption and improve occupant health.
New Ecology seeks to hire multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek deeper and deeper understanding of how buildings operate, how finances and regulations affect buildings and residents, and how this understanding can be used to improve buildings.
- A bachelor’s degree in Science or a technical degree;
- Valid HERS certification through an accredited Provider;
- Three years of experience conducting HERS ratings;
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills, including experience writing reports for clients;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, RemRate or Ekotrope modeling software, and building and engineering design programs.
- Ability to: 1) inspect all aspects of buildings, including: accessing basements, attics, and roofs; 2) climb stairs/ladders; and 3) handle and carry equipment up to 40 lbs: and
- A valid driver’s license.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
May include BPI Building Analyst / BPI Multifamily Building Analyst, Certified Energy Manager (CEM), LEED Green Rater, NGBS Green Verifier, or PHIUS+ Rater.
Additional Candidate Attributes:
May include professional curiosity and enthusiasm related to efficiency and green building; experience delivering audits of complex buildings, especially multifamily and government buildings; demonstrated experience as a team player; a demonstrated ability to be responsible for projects and deliverables; experience doing forensic diagnosis of HVAC equipment; knowledge of utility rebate programs.
Schedule: Full time, exempt, preferred. Regular travel to job sites and meetings throughout the Mid-Atlantic, monthly staff meetings in Boston, MA and periodic out of state travel is expected.
Compensation: Competitive pay and generous benefits package. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “HERS Rater/Energy Auditor” in subject line).