New Ecology, Inc. is seeking an experienced Comptroller. The Comptroller is responsible for all financial and accounting functions and supervising a staff accountant in a growing organization. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized non-profit corporation. We are an entrepreneurial organization that relies on a combination of earned revenue and grants to support the organization. Our home office is in Boston and we have operations in four other states. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing, (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based projects such as municipal, educational and arts buildings see www.newecology.org.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Comptroller is to conduct the daily operations of the Accounting and Finance department and to ensure the accuracy and completeness of company financial records. The Comptroller’s expected duties include:
- Overseeing all financial transactions and recordkeeping;
- Billing of fee for service projects, including conducting billing meetings with project managers, maintaining job details in both the designated accounting software and our Salesforce database;
- Reviewing all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and overhead cost allocation;
- Preparing month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements;
- Preparing financial reports for management and the Board of Directors;
- Managing grant accounting and preparing financial reports for funders;
- Working to enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems;
- Overseeing weekly cash management, approve weekly payables;
- Overseeing AR management and provide support to collection activities;
- Supervising a full-time accountant;
- Managing and reconcile bank statements and bankcard usage;
- Maintaining the corporate contracts for clients, vendors, and other company contracts;
- Budgeting and forecasting revenue and cash flow;
- Establishing, modifying, and implementing necessary accounting procedures to ensure adequate internal control;
- Working with senior management to develop and produce key performance indicators; and
- Managing annual audit and audit processes with outside independent firm.
- Applicant must possess a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, with 10+ years of relevant experience;
- Supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated experience with both non-profit (grant) accounting and project based billing systems as found in consulting or professional services firms;
- Advanced skill with Microsoft Excel and Word and experience with databases a plus;
- Advanced skills in QuickBooks; Clearview InFocus, or similar financial software;
- Demonstrated experience with systems conversions and ability to meet established deadlines for efficient and timely transition;
- Demonstrated capability of working with personnel across multiple state branch offices in the collection of information to expedite client billing and prompt problem resolution; and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to speak and coordinate with individuals across multiple functions within New Ecology’s operations.
Competitive pay and a full benefits package (75% employer paid health; 100% employer paid dental and disability insurance, employer-sponsored FSA and retirement plans, generous PTO).
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (Please add “Comptroller position” in subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.